Friday, December 23, 2011

I have been busy...

As Jubilee was putting on her shoes, (backwards, of course) she told me rather nonchalantly, "These shoes are getting snug, Momma."  I looked down and said what any busy mom would say: "That's because you're putting them on the wrong feet!"  But when she had put them on the proper feet, she said "They're tight when they're on backwards AND the right way too!"  So I bent down and felt her toes, which were about to burst through the seams of those size 9's!  This has never happened to her before!  Jubilee's feet have always grown so gradually, and she's only had those cute purple butterfly shoes since September!  And if I had known that they were getting snug, I surely would have delegated 'new shoes' to one of the Grandma's Christmas lists.  Now here we were, days before the big holiday, and we had to go shoe shopping.
We chose Target as our location to battle crazy Christmas shoppers, and off we went.  Armed with our new child-management tactic of putting the children in the double stroller, we were ready for anything!  This time, however, we put Toren in his carseat in the cart, and just put the two girls in the double stroller.  We were quite the caravan!
We managed to find almost the same shoes that she had just grown out of, only in a size 10.  And they were on clearance!  Score!  Agape only had a minor meltdown when we told her 'no' she could not have the sparkly toddler sized ruby-red slippers.  Unfortunately, she did not buy my explanation of how their cheap construction would cause blisters on her heels. 
We had a couple of other very important items to pick up at the store, including thin mints for cookies and a stocking for baby Toren.  I led the way, pushing the cart with Toren in it, while Ua followed pushing the two girls in the stroller. While we were in the Christmas section, I happened upon a woman I knew from nursing school.  We both said 'hi', and then she realized that as I stopped, the man pushing the stroller behind me also stopped, and that this must be my family! 
"Are these all your kids?" She asked?  I think she was a little overwhelmed by us all.  She kept repeating, "Wow, you've been busy since nursing school!"  She said that line at least three times during the conversation!  As I reflected on this event, I realized that if I saw a woman I hadn't seen in 5 1/2 years, and when I knew them 5.5 years ago, she was still in college, and she had no children, and now she was carting 3 kids around, I might be a little surprised, too!  And as I thought about it, I realized that I've given birth to 3 children in 4 years!  That's pretty impressive, if I do say so, myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment